Employment Discrimination Blog

NJ Employment Law Resources for Information

Published on 21st April, 2015 under Employment Discrimination

NJ employment law resourcesIf you have reason to wonder whether your issues in the workplace might be legal issues, the first place to start your research is with keywords and phrases. Using the right words is key to finding the specific information you need on the web.

When you’re new to legal research, knowing how to classify your employment law issues and select keywords can be confusing. You may be all too familiar with your work-related problems, but completely unfamiliar with their law legal classifications and terms.

Here’s a place to start: a list of terms you need to begin or further your research on the web. You can also check out the online resource, How To Research a Legal Problem: A Guide For Non-Lawyers compiled by The American Association of Law Libraries.

Once you have identified a topic and some terms relevant to your personal situation at work, you might choose to visit some of the following websites and continue your research:

You can see there are plenty of websites to use when you’re looking for information about the federal and state laws protecting you in the workplace.

Is it Necessary to Hire an Attorney?

The simple answer is no, you don’t have to hire an attorney to learn the laws governing your employment rights in New Jersey. And, you can always make complaints to your employer without legal representation.

However, your complaints may not be enough to stop the discriminatory behavior or other unfairness you’re experiencing. In that case you will need to consult with an employment law attorney to discuss your legal options.

Fairness in the workplace is often a matter of personal opinion, but there are two agencies that handle formal employee complaints: 1) the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR) which is a federal administrative agency and 2) the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

You don’t need to contact both agencies to file your claim. Choosing where to file and how to proceed with your formal complaint is often a scenario in which you’ll want to use the services of an employment lawyer. An employment lawyer can help to get you on the right track and avoid unnecessary delays in fairly resolving your issues with your employer.

There are deadlines involved in the process of filing complaints, so you may want a lawyer’s help to stay on track with the process. In addition, the results of your formal complaints with administrative agencies can interfere with your right to a trial in some cases. This is another area where a lawyer with experience in employment law can sort out the details and handle the process for you.

John J. Zidziunas & Associates can provide you with expert help in your New Jersey employment law matters and advise and represent you in court. Contact them for a 30-minute consultation at no charge, by email or by calling 973-509-8500.

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles from FreeDigitalPhotos.net

DISCLAIMER: This web log is not legal advice, nor should it be construed to be legal advice or the offering of legal advice. It should not be read as guaranteeing or suggesting any particular outcome in any Court will occur in any particular case. It is not, and should be read as, a complete or authoritative analysis of the state of law, which is constantly subject to change.